Food scraps?

grassycreek

Hatching
11 Years
May 27, 2008
We just acquired 4 1-year old Plymouth White Rocks and I expected them to eat at least some of our kitchen scraps (things off the recommended treat list). But they only seem interested in eating the purchased layer feed. Is there any thing I can do to interest them in other things too? The quantity of feed they eat and poop they create is more than any other chickens we have ever had (we used to have Rhode Island Reds)! Three of the four chickens are molting, is that a factor? Thanks--

Hi and Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

It sounds like they've never had anyting other than layer feed to eat before.

I know the first time we started giving our gang food scraps they just kinda looked at me and the goodies like we were both nuts. Eventually one decided to check the "goodies" out and the rest followed suit.

I've also noticed that some of our birds like certain things and others don't, just like we humans.
wink.png

Hope this helps!

Dawn

I mixed a few mealworms in with some noodles for a friends chickens, and they went NUTS on it. After that, everything was fair game. You could try mixing in a bit of their feed with the scraps and see if they check it out. I would keep it near them and eventuallly someone will be brave enough to take a taste.

Our girls were really hesitant at first to try table scraps, as well. But just like the other posters' experience, once one of them got brave enough to try it, the rest disappeared in a flash!

Now they get all our table scraps, and though they definitely have their favorite foods and not-so-favored ones, it all disappears!

Back
Top Bottom