Food/scratch/straw/bedding storage

JoeInPA

Songster
Aug 25, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
Hi everyone,
I currently am keeping my chicken feed, scratch, wood chips, grit and supplies inside my garage. They are fine there but they are beginning to take up a fair bit of space and I have to carry everything from the garage to the coop every time I need it. I was thinking about getting one of these trash can storage bins and setting it next to the coop, and storing everything inside there.

plastic-garbage-can-shed-2019.jpg

It would be a lot more convenient and save me some space. Obviously I'll need to make sure it latches tight so that mice and such can't get inside.

Does anyone see a problem with doing this?

Hi everyone,
I currently am keeping my chicken feed, scratch, wood chips, grit and supplies inside my garage. They are fine there but they are beginning to take up a fair bit of space and I have to carry everything from the garage to the coop every time I need it. I was thinking about getting one of these trash can storage bins and setting it next to the coop, and storing everything inside there.

View attachment 1956273

It would be a lot more convenient and save me some space. Obviously I'll need to make sure it latches tight so that mice and such can't get inside.

Does anyone see a problem with doing this?
It depends on if it is moisture proof, and how much rain you get. Here in rainy Washington it wouldn't work. Everything would get damp and moldy. I tried a plastic bin that I thought was water proof, and it did keep the rain out, but not the dampness. We ended up building a proper shed for storage.

It does depend on how much rain you get but I actually keep some of my feed and my peat moss (for the dust bath) outdoors with just a roofed overhang and that works well. Since it's just an open area with a roof it dries out decently fast (so no mold) and the roof is enough to shed off rain and snow.

If I were to use a unit like the one you have in the photo, I would have it set up so the prevailing winds hit the back wall to provide the most possible protection, and then maybe even leave the front doors open during fall, spring, summer to let the area air out to prevent mold. Any sort of feed in metal trash cans, that'll keep rodents out.

It does depend on how much rain you get but I actually keep some of my feed and my peat moss (for the dust bath) outdoors with just a roofed overhang and that works well. Since it's just an open area with a roof it dries out decently fast (so no mold) and the roof is enough to shed off rain and snow.

If I were to use a unit like the one you have in the photo, I would have it set up so the prevailing winds hit the back wall to provide the most possible protection, and then maybe even leave the front doors open during fall, spring, summer to let the area air out to prevent mold. Any sort of feed in metal trash cans, that'll keep rodents out.

I bought a storage bin to put on my screen room. I keep food in metal buckets, treats in glass jars, masks, gloves, and a small bucket with scissors, tape measure, lighter, etc. It is water proof and rodent proof. Although, as I live in Florida I do have roaches. They are everywhere and of course they are able to get in anything they want to. This has worked well for me.

Personlly I think it would work in just about any weather. We have a couple of units similar to those. The top closes down into a roof and the doors only open when you open them. All the seams are folded to seal moisture out. It's self-contained, including having its own integral floor. And if you keep your feed etc. in Rubbermaid containers as shown in your pic, it will be about as secure as you can keep it in a humid environment without a dehumidifier. I mean, in some climates it's so humid you can bend a cracker even stored in your kitchen.

Hello gents! If you got rainy weather in your area, I would recommend you pack your junk in specific trash bags, so water doesn't reach inside. For example, you can look for these bags at https://www.interplas.com/trash-bags. They are cheap and have a good watertight. I have been using this kind of bag for a long time, and it is raining a lot in my area, so I think they will be helpful for you. At the same time, you can think about adding an extra trash container so you will have enough space or hire another junk contractor service to get your junk from these containers faster.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom