Food selection

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chick2chicken, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Chick2chicken

Chick2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2017
    what is the healthiest/best pellet/crumble brand for laying hens?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Crumble is the SAME food as pellets(with the same brand)---its just run through a grinder to break the pellets up some. My chickens do not like pellets so I feed crumble. Pellets would save from spilled/tossed out crumble probably. My chicken will eat the crumble but leave the longer pieces that did not get ground, but they will go back and eat the bigger pieces later. Some times I even run my crumble through the grinder when I have some extra time to make it finer----the chickens seem to love it better that way.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  3. tmarsh83

tmarsh83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN
    You could ask ten people this question and get eleven different answers.

A lot of the answer comes down to management style and flock dynamic.

A flock of layers without a rooster have different requirements and considerations, so what is healthy for one isn't for another.

Some think GMO/Organic/Vegetarian matters. Some don't. You'll get different answers.

Establish your flock needs, evaluate the options that presents. Find what works best for you and matches your management goals.

4. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    I agree with what everyone else said but I always go with what's cheapest for layer pellets

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by