Food sources that make eggs taste funny?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Gindee77, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    I just read the great list of treats for chickens and saved it to a file...great info! I was wondering tho, it didn't say anything about what NOT to feed. I don't mean what not to feed that's bad for chickens, I mean what not to feed because it will make the eggs taste funny. I know about onions and garlic but is there anything else that will make odd tasting eggs that I should avoid feeding my girls? They have just started to lay and I prefer egg-tasting eggs! [​IMG]

2. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    My husband ate eggs this am which had yolks that tasted like fish - we figure the hens were fed fishmeal..... for higher omega 3's or something...

I can't wait for our own hens to lay!!!!

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I know I read somewhere unless you like garlic and onions in your eggs, don't feed it the chicks!

Not to mention, I bet it would give them bad breath. [​IMG]

4. RASTACHICKI

RASTACHICKI Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2008
    Mobile, Alabama
    feed them garlic if you like to use the eggs for quiche's. Then you won't have to season the egg with garlic!! I feed them left over bulbs from the garden sometimes if we want quiches!! Fish meal will make everything fishy, i hate that stuff

5. Jilara

Jilara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    Hmm, now there's a thought to remind myself. The cats didn't finish their canned tuna, last night, so I took the remains out to the girls, this morning. Instant chicken riot! But they're not laying yet. I can imagine what tuna-flavored eggs would taste like, though. I need to keep this in mind.

6. Ron

Ron Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Southeast Texas
    Clowns.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Too much flaxseed will make them fishy tasting too.

8. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Quote:Wahahahahaha [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I wouldn't get close enough to a clown to throw it to my chickens!! I'm terrified of clowns! They really creep me out! [​IMG]

Pretty bad for a full grown adult, eh??

I got a great laugh out of that tho...thanks Ron!!

P.S. I heard clowns taste funny too! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by