Food specks in eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Annasg, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Annasg

Annasg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    Does anyone know why I am getting food specks in my hen's eggs. It looks a little like dirt but one of them looked like a bug. My hens are just learning to lay eggs. Does this have anything to do with their learning how to process the act of laying?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If it was a bug then I'd inspect your hens carefully for mites/lice.

If you dust for mites, repeat in 7 days. Also treat the coop and toss the bedding and nest box material if you wish to be thorough.

I have never heard of a mite getting into an egg, but I have seen a worm in an egg with my own eyes (the worm crawls up the vent and is present during the egg formation). So I am assuming a mite could do it too...don't know though.

This is just my opinion and hopefully someone else can chime in too. There are "meat spots and blood spots" which are normal in eggs (pieces of tissue that drop out of the hen, like an ovary or part of their tissues, and the blood spot is from a broken blood vessel at the time of the egg formation)- both of these are considered normal (not too desirable though!). I just toss them away and cook the rest of the egg.

However, bugs are something else again. I wouldn't tolerate bugs in my eggs.

3. Annasg

Annasg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    Mostly it has just been like dirt specks but then there was that one time that I thought those specks could have been a bug but I am not sure about that. But almost every egg that I crack, I have like food specks or dirt specks in them. I keep my coop and house very clean and also all of the boxes. I just just beside myself as I started selling eggs and now they dont want anymore. I am wondering what I might be doiing wrong as I am a newby at this.

4. Sophia5

Sophia5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2013
    It could be a blood spot in one of your eggs, but then again I do agree with 'ÇhickensAreSweet'.

5. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    I agree with ÇhickensAreSweet as well. To be on the safe side treat for lice, mites, and worms. Make sure you clean well and follow the withdraw time for the eggs. When it stops, and the withdraw time is up, apologize to your customers and try to offer something like half a dozen free eggs to get them in a buying mood again. It is up to you if you go into details, but if they don't know much about keeping chickens the details might freak them out. The person I bought eggs from before I got chickens would have a "dry spell" for two weeks every six months while she "insured the health of her flock". I know now that she was de-worming just to be safe but if she had told me that then I think I would have stopped buying her eggs.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I forgot to mention that if you ever find lice (not mites) it requires a 14 day follow up retreatment due to the life cycle being longer than mites.

Mites are a 7 day follow up (although if heavily infested may take several 7 day retreatments I have read). I have only dealt with mites, not lice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by