Food sticks in feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by arcatamarcia, Jul 22, 2011.

1. arcatamarcia

arcatamarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    I'm feeding my chickens layer crumble in a bucket type feeder with a small plate at the bottom. I've hung it chicken back height so there's little waste. But the food won't drop down into the little plate. It gets stuck. Unless I go in every day and push it down into the tray, they would not be able to get at the food after they eat what's in the tray. I'm concerned that I should do this multiple times each day.

I'm not filling the bucket because I worried about the food getting stale. Could that be the issue?

What am I doing wrong?

2. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Is it absorbing moisture somewhere along the way? That would be my best guess.

3. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You can make a cone out of heavy cardboard (plastic is better) a couple of inches less in diameter than the bucket. Place inside the bucket and fill with feed. If you have a moisture problem, sprinkle a little DE in with the feed.

4. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Mine did the same thing the crumble compacts to much and wont move on its own I had to go and twist and shake the feeder aswell> pellets work great!

5. arcatamarcia

arcatamarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    The food is dry, but it is humid where I live, so that could be part of the problem. When I'm done with this bag of crumbles I'll switch to pellets. That sounds like it could be the solution. Thanks.

6. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    I have the same issue - thanks for asking...

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Be sure you make the transition slowly, chickens are visual eaters and will refuse to eat new things for a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by