food... still confused!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 688peterl, Nov 3, 2009.

1. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    OK so i start the indian runners on...

duck starter crumbs with tiny mineral grit

then i move them onto duck grower pellets with grower grit (i dont know what makes it "grower" grit maybe it just isnt as big)

then depending on what sex they are... if i have a girl...

I use layer pellets (i havent seen any of those for ducks, just chickens.. are they OK?) with oyster shell grit (or do i use normal grit and oyster shell grit?)

and if a drake hatches...

I use duck maintenance pellets with normal grit NOT oyster shell? or do i use oyster shell?

ARGHH CONFUSING!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Just get a regular maintenance and offer oyster shells free choice. You are making this WAY too complicated. Feed manufacturers are a little too helpful sometimes...LOL As for grit, if they have free range time they will find their own.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  3. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:they wont have free range time well they will but there wont be any grit in my garden lol its not very big, oh i also wanna mix corn in with the feed to slow the growth rate so they live longer i found some poultry corn would that be OK?

4. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    and its storeys guide to raising that is making it confusing not me lol, it says...

laying ducks need 16-17% protein feed and 3% calcium and non laying ducks ie drakes need 12-14% protein feed with 0.6% calcium

ive seen some waterfowl pellets (maintenance i think) with 16% protein so that would cover both hens and drakes.. would the oyster shell provide the hens with all the calcium though?

btw i wont have this problem if the ducks are the same sex but knowing my luck il end up with a hen and a drake

5. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    that reminds me.. what exactly is laying season and do runners have that or do they lay all year round?

6. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

runners can lay all year round, stopping during molting only. oyster shells will be enough for the females. i found feed to be a bit confusing at first also. sometimes i still don't know if i'm doing it right. [​IMG]

7. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    If you have duck crumbles i would just wait until your babies hatch...you know that old saying...Dont count your chickens before they hatch...the same applies to ducks. I had 15 viable eggs going into lockdown and only 9 hatched...8 are alive and healthy. You are going to be very sad if something happens to your eggs and you have spent all this time and money. I would wait and see what happens before you get so frazzled and stressed out.

8. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

oh, classroomducks, i see you changed your avatar. i love it!

9. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    thanks...its my favorite pic ive taken so far.

10. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:yeah i only have 2 on lockdown [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by