food storage?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by animalcrazy31, Sep 10, 2009.

1. animalcrazy31

animalcrazy31 In the Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    i'm at a loss i had an unopened bag of goat feed and chciken feed in the shed and when i opened them there was little brownish reddish bugs in them. I've never seen then before. what are they? and will they hurt the goats if they got them? i didn't see them till after i put the feed in the bowel and by then the goats were already chowing down. What do you store your feed in? I didnt think bugs could get into unopened bags. I'm looking at 58 gallon plastic drums would they stay out of that?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I store all my animals feed is rubbermaid totes. Some folks use the metal trash cans.

3. SarahFair

SarahFair Songster

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    IDK but I once had this problem with my deer corn.. [​IMG]
    They havent come back since I dumped the bag in the woods

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Crowing

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If you have room in a chest freezer, you can put the bags in there for a couple of days to kill the bugs.

They often get in the grain BEFORE it's bagged.

5. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Songster

Mar 20, 2008
    Depending on how long you have had the feed I would say take it back to the feedstore.

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    I store my feed in plastic garbage cans. So far so good.

7. rufus

rufus Crowing

May 17, 2007
    To prevent weevils in stored flour, cornmeal or pasta etc we put sticks of spearmint or double mint gum in with the product. Seems to work for us, and when you are done with it you can chew the gum.

Rufus

8. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Quote:I do that to

9. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Songster

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    I've got layer pellets in a plastic garbage can (it can hold three fifty pound bags) and scratch grain in one rubbermaid type tote, and chick feed in another rubbermaid type tote. About one 50 pound bag can fit in each tote.

Usually bugs are in the feed before it's bagged, or they chew through the bag and get in. Like mice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by