Food Storage???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickie<3, Aug 5, 2010.

1. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I have 5 pullets and when they were chicks I bought 5lb. chick starter bags...but now that they will be on developer/grower for a while I bought a 50 lb. bag. I stored it in a plastic container but when I went to replenish the feeder..little moth like things were all over the place...so i transferred whatever i had to those huge oversized ziploc bags...when i went to replenish the feeder there was like 1 of the moth like things..so definately better then the plastic bin..but what would be ideal for storing the food??

2. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I store my feed, still in the sack, in a 100 gallon metal drum. I store my scratch mix in a new metal trash can with a tight lid. I have yet to have any trouble with bugs even though I know that they can be a problem in my area.

3. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    I don't understand how they were getting in the plastic container if it had a tight fitting lid? [​IMG]

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    This time of year it seems like the just about all the feed is already infested when you purchase it at the store, and it didn;t seem to matter which feed store I purchased from. However, this year I have been using a different store with a different brand, and not had that issue at all.

5. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Yeah, the bugs did not get in that container, they were already there. I've not experienced it with chicken feed (yet) but have with the food I use for my McCaw. One way I use to kill them off in the parrot food is to freeze it for a while first. Not sure how you would do that with 50 pounds of chicken feed. If the problem were bad enough I would put it all in zip locks and freeze a few at a time until all had a turn in the freezer. We usually put the food in overnight and take it out the next day. Maybe that helps?

6. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I also keep my Macaws food in the freezer, but no room for 50 lb bags of chicken feed [​IMG] I just purchased Gamma Vittle Vaults from Petco. Online shipping is free right now plus they're on sale. Yes, they are pricier than just a plastic tub but they get rave reviews. I need to store several bags at a time since I can't always get to the store and when I do they have been out of feed. http://www.petco.com/product/14938/...t-Food-Container.aspx?CoreCat=FamilyCrossSell

7. Koolduck

Koolduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Central KY
    I use galvanized trash cans. No problems until this last bag from TSC. This little microscopic beetle(very prehistoric lookin gray things) are now in the can. When I finish I'll hose out the can well, keep it in the hot sun for a day, and start again. Ive gotton the moths in dog food from Walmart. Those are called the Asian meal moth and can get everywhere in your pantry. Loves flour and noodles/pasta and such. REALLY HARD TO CONTROL AND GET RID OF! You have to soak all your jars cause the larva is under the cap on the threads and I threw out alot of stuff! A big P I T A!

8. nancypo

nancypo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    I use a metal feed can, fits a 40 lb bag perfect, no bugs or rodents...

9. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I have had a terrible time this year with the grain moths too. I am trying some of those pheremome pest traps that has an "attractant" for the moths and they get stuck on the trap. The cheapest i have found them is on ebay. I put one directly into the can and the next day it was covered in moths. I figure at least those won't breed and cause more problems.

10. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    I have horses, and now chickens, and I store all my feed in plastic garbage cans (the regular sized ones) with the lids that snap down fairly tight. Ace Hardware is where I got my last batch. I like them because they seal pretty tight (better than the galvanized ones I've had) and are easy to wash out when I need to clean them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by