Food Storage?????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickie<3, Aug 5, 2010.

1. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I have 5 pullets and when they were chicks I bought 5lb. chick starter bags...but now that they will be on developer/grower for a while I bought a 50 lb. bag. I stored it in a plastic container but when I went to replenish the feeder..little moth like things were all over the place...so i transferred whatever i had to those huge oversized ziploc bags...when i went to replenish the feeder there was like 1 of the moth like things..so definately better then the plastic bin..but what would be ideal for storing the food??

2. chickensrfood

chickensrfood Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    A deep freezer

3. Ceilismom

Ceilismom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    NW South Dakota
    The moths probably arrived in the bag of feed. Freezing will kill them. They can chew through plastic bags, and get through the tiniest openings in storage containers. You'd need something like a 5 gal. bucket with a tightly sealed lid (airtight would be ideal) to keep them out once you kill them.

4. lamelde

lamelde Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2009
    Sparta, WI
    The freezing idea sounds like a good start (I never thought of that - thanx for the idea)

I sprinkle some Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth in with my (feed/cracked corn) when I store it in 5 gal buckets - that will keep bugs from "taking over" - haven't found any yet & it's been a full year since I started.

FYI - I get the buckets from Wal-Mart's bakery for a small donation to Childrens Miracle Network (50 cents each) - they are food grade buckets and come with a rubber o-ring that seals out most everything!!!

5. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    thanks for the advise...appreciated

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by