Food stuck in throat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bantam girls, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Bantam girls

Bantam girls Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2009
    I have a 3 day old chick that appears to have some food caught in her throat. She was eating her medicated baby food and then she was shaking her head and some came out but I can still feel a piece caught. I tried to massage it up and out and make her drink but it is still there. She can peep and walk around but you can tell she is uncomfortable. Could someone please advise me on how to help her?

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    What bedding are you using? If it's pine shavings, that might be what you are feeling. In any case, I hope the problem resolves itself. I don't know what I'd do. Hopefully, somebody will be able to help you soon.

3. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    give her a TINY bit of honey. i had this problem before and i asked a duck rescuer and he said feed them just a pinch of honey, just the amount that fits on the tip of your finger. but that was for grown ducks, so i would say a very small amount. it soothes the throat and is a natural antibiotic (sp?)

4. Bantam girls

Bantam girls Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2009
    I am sure it is food because I was actually watching her eat when the whole thing happened. She is actually on newspaper and paper towels on top of that. I watched her cough up and shake her head til some crumbs came out. There is still a piece left so I will try the honey. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by