Food Taboos?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sparrow, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Food taboos-what we will readily eat and what we can't imagine eating-are a really interesting thing. I thought since we have a very diverse group of people here I would bring up the issue and find out what you guys think!

I personally have no issue eating cooked insects, but I cannot tolerate eating marine invertebrates(lobster, shrimp, crab *shudder*) or shellfish. I can't even stand the idea of eating a Crab Rangoon, and supposedly those just TASTE like they have crab inthem! [​IMG] I'm up for trying most foods otherwise,unless they are rotten.Not going to risk that. lol

As far as eating other kinds of animals, for me some things are taboo that are completely normal for a lot of others. For instance, I could NEVER kill and eat a goose...ever. Inmy experience, geese have a level of intelligence similar to dogs. They are interactive, affectionate, obnoxious, trainable, and pretty faithful to "their people". Knowing that geese can be like this, I was thinking about the taboo that most Westerners have about eating dogs. That is a revolting, horrid idea to most of us...I'mnot really up for eating a canine either.....but many of the same people wouldn't hesitate to eat a nearly-or-equally intelligent animal such as a goose. [​IMG] I could never raise chickens or ducks...or any other bird for consumption either,but I do eat chicken frequently. I suppose it is because I know what the quality of extended life for those poor meat birds would almost surely be. I guess that is what defines my taboo.

I NEVER judge a person on what they choose to eat. I don't see people who eat goose or dogs as bad people. They are just different than I am, and variety is the spice. lol I just know what my firm limitations are, and I'malways curious to know where others' boundaries lie and why.

2. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I too don't like shellfish of any kind. I think lobsters are just creepy marine spiders. [​IMG]

Probably my only food taboo is not eating anything that fell on the floor. [​IMG]

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    A goose, to me, is a lot different than a dog. All animals can be friendly and intelligent, just like cows and stuff, but for some reason dogs just go above that for me. Don't know why, but they do. Horses do, too....and cats are just gross, couldn't imagine eating a cat. I think that the cleanliness factor plays into the dog thing, too. They eat their own vomit. GROSS. I have a special aversion to any vegetable that has a lot of chlorophyll (dark green) like spinach and brussell sprouts. Asparagus is another no no food. I'll eat broccoli, and green beans. Other than that I can't think of anything I won't eat....other than tongue....

4. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Meat, of any kind.

5. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    It's a mind thing. I can't eat veal or lamb. I don't judge anyone who can.......I just can't.

Give me Lobster or Crab anyday! [​IMG]

6. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I can't think of too many things I wouldn't at least try. Cockroaches is one though. If it is eaten by humans of other cultures I would be willing to at least consider it.

As I type this some things to come to mind:
    Anything made with horse or anyother animal urine.

Things I have eaten:
    Zebra
    Squid
    Octopus
    Goat
    Crocodile

Things I wanted to try but couldn't quite make the right connection.
    Kaegogi

I've been to Ethiopia, Kenya, Thailand, Korea, Japan, Honduras, Europe, Central America, and a few other places. I've been exposed to and have eaten a lot of different foods.

7. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    I swallowed a hairball once. Don't ask.

8. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:What did Zebra tastes like?

-Kim

9. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Zebra tasted a little like beef. I liked it enough that I went back for more. Crocodile I wasn't too crazy about but I didn't spit it out.

Also had gazelle and giraffe.

10. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Funny to read all this. When we traveled to E. Europe to adopt our son I couldn't eat anything...because I saw it made and then sit on the stove for a day and a half. We had a restaurant bill. We just took our hostess out to eat everynight. Thankfully, it was cheap....the bill I mean......and she was delighted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by