Food to get your chickens laying in the winter

Chicabee19

Songster
11 Years
Aug 8, 2008
n/a
I was talking with a guy who works with a foundation for raising animals naturally, and he told me to feed my chickens popcorn popped in any kind of leftover kitchen grease to keep them warm and laying through the winter.

Is this pretty much common knowledge? Has anyone here ever done that? If so, did it work?

thanks!

Never heard of that one before, I have heard to give them cayenne pepper to boost their metabolism.......anyhow, doesn't sound like that could hurt......next time I make popcorn I'll try it.....it's already getting cooler....

it's already getting cooler....

I KNOW! We have the strangest weather. This is supposed to be the hottest time of the year, and I'm wearing winter socks! :eek:

There are lots of threads - and as many debates - about how to feed your chickens to keep them warm over the winter.
smile.png
Some subscribe to the theory that corn's high calorie content will keep them warm while others disagree. Use the search feature to find more info.

As for my girls, I figure that a coop & feathers are enough for the Seattle winters!

This is our first winter with chickens. We just got our 4 girls this spring and are waiting... waiting... waiting for eggs. They'll be 20 weeks old in mid-October.

C'mon... c'mon...!

Back
Top Bottom