food to put on weight

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sandra Verbreyt, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Sandra Verbreyt

Sandra Verbreyt Chirping

Jul 12, 2017
    Temse Belgium
    My Silkie Margo has not been very well and has been on a course of antibiotics. She is slowly on the mend but has lost a lot of weight . She is a VERY fussy eater and will not eat kernels or scraps from the house. What can I feed her to help her gain back her weight.

2. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Crowing

Jul 29, 2013
    Cleveland OH
    Meat bird feed would be what I'd go with. Anything high in protein, fats and still well-rounded nutritionally. Maybe scramble their feed with an egg every day.

3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    What kind of feed is she eating? If you're feeding layer, switch to a higher protein feed (Flock Raiser, All Flock, Starter/Grower, etc...) Try wetting her feed in water, yogurt, scrambled eggs, mealworms, tuna, cat food soaked in water, mackerel, salmon ....

4. Sandra Verbreyt

Sandra Verbreyt Chirping

Jul 12, 2017
    Temse Belgium
    I was told I should not feed fish to my chickens. Is cooked fish ok to feed them?

5. Grits&Eggs

Grits&Eggs Songster

Apr 16, 2018
    Florida
    hmmm, mine love tuna (from the packet) or cat food - salmon etc. but didn't realize it was bad for them, anyone know why??

6. meetthebubus

meetthebubus Crowing

Mar 28, 2017
    Maybe the high mercury.....

7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I'm not sure if she actually is underweight?..Silkies are not fat Birds.

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  8. Sandra Verbreyt

Sandra Verbreyt Chirping

Jul 12, 2017
    Temse Belgium
    Thankyou so much everybody. Today I scrambled her some eggs with her food mixed in and also some porridge. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: