Food wasting

macmac955

Songster
Apr 13, 2023
My baby chicks keep scratching away all of the food in their feeder. It ends up everywhere in one day and I just have to throw it away because they poop on it. I only have a 10 pound bag of food. What should I do?

I concur, raise the feeder.

This is my setup for new babies, up on a broken paver block (I collect random bricks and chunks of building materials), to keep the bedding out of it.

IMG_20230202_111127258.jpg

After a week or so I switch to a hanging feeder, providing a block for the shorter babies to stand on and raising it as needed:

IMG_20230211_114511249.jpg

I also don't throw out the entire thing if they poop in the feed. I just pick the poops out. They're always perfectly dried and dry poop doesn't present any risks.

I concur, raise the feeder.

This is my setup for new babies, up on a broken paver block (I collect random bricks and chunks of building materials), to keep the bedding out of it.

View attachment 3467131

After a week or so I switch to a hanging feeder, providing a block for the shorter babies to stand on and raising it as needed:

View attachment 3467134

I also don't throw out the entire thing if they poop in the feed. I just pick the poops out. They're always perfectly dried and dry poop doesn't present any risks.
Thank you! I just grabbed the boxes from my new markers to lift them a bit and it’s working really well.

Back
Top Bottom