Food & Water 24/7?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MomMommyMamma, Jun 26, 2010.

1. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    I know this may sound silly, but do you make sure the chickens have food available during the night? Our chicks are still in the brooder so they do have food all night but when they're outside in the coop - do you put feed in with them at night?

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Well, you CAN take up the feed at night if you have a rodent problem. The chickens won't come off the roost to eat because they can't see in the dark.

HOWEVER, they WILL come down around 5am as soon as it's daylight-ish and they want food and water early because they have fasted all night long. I don't get up that early, so yes I have food out 24/7 for my convenience.

3. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Thank you!

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I leave food & water 24/7, but I always have young ones, & I leave a light on for them.

5. sriston

sriston Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2009
    Tamms, IL
    Our chickens have food and water always available in their coop, which is a little barn. I use hanging ones, as it's less messy. Although they very seldom eat or drink in their barn (they free range in the backyard all day and also have food and water out there) we always make sure there is plenty in their barn just in case something happens and we can't get to them to let them out. (Such as storms, winter storms, unexpected events, etc.) We know that they always have enough food and water for 3 days, and that they will be okay if by chance we can't get to them to let them out.

Although having food and water in their house is not necessary, I just consider it "being prepared".

Susan

6. cposz

cposz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    Ours always have food and water available, 24/7 year round.

7. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Yes, our coop has both food and water, always. We also have water in different places outside, but no outside food. If they want something other than what they pick up free-ranging, they just go back to the coop and have a little snack.

Edited: 700th post dance -- [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  8. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    We always have it available 24/7.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by