Food? Water? Brooder?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KristaChickenWhisperer, Mar 27, 2009.

1. KristaChickenWhisperer

KristaChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Hi all, in a few weeks I will be starting my first ever hatch. I was just wondering when I should offer the chicks food, water and when I should move them into the brooder?

I have been raising chickens for years so as far as general chick care goes I am all set, I have just never hatched my own chicks.

Any advice would be AMAZING! [​IMG]

2. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I let them get good and dry in the incubator. Some of the weaker looking ones I leave in there over night and that seems to help. I offer them food and water as soon as I set them in the brooder. Some find it really fast and start eating and drinking others hatches have taken a day or so to actually eat or drink. I know they can live a few days on the yolk they absorbed but I think they stay stronger if they eat and drink that first day.

3. KristaChickenWhisperer

KristaChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Thanks!! [​IMG]

4. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Hi! The chicks shouldn't be moved to the brooder until they are dry and fluffy. You can leave them in there for up to 12 hours. Depending on how many eggs you have in, be careful because each time you open it, humidity escapes and could cause the rest of the eggs to fail.

I usually offer food and water immediately. Sprinkle some on the brooder floor and they'll have no trouble finding it. Might need to dip a few beaks in the waterer but usually once one finds it, the rest follow.

5. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    I have left chicks in the incubator 24+ hours with no problems. I used a turn-x this time and had one chick in there a day and a half. He is the stronger for having lots of long sleeps and a mesh surface that had just the right traction to strenghten and streighten out a crooked foot. I move mine when it looks like they are completely dry, sitting and walking well, alert and strong. If one seems weak, gimpy, or sleepy it gets to stay in the temperature and humidity controlled quarters and rest awhile extra.

6. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

I leave mine in there a good 24 hours, they can be without food and water up to 72 hours. If you want to move some before the 72 hours is up, remove the plexiglas windows on top and you won't loose your humidity and temp. (watch out for the heating element, it hurts trust me! [​IMG] )

I do put a pepsi bottle lid in there with water and another with feed. I also put down shelf liner the waffly stuff with holes in it and they get really good traction.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by