food + water , in coop or out, conterversy

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by missrose, Oct 18, 2009.

1. missrose

missrose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    I have heard of people putting food in the coop, or in the run. which is better? both run and coop are avalible to chickens 24/7. is there a prefrence out there?

2. SPRING CREEK FARM

SPRING CREEK FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Vanleer,TN
    [​IMG] My runs are not covered, so I only put their food out in the runs when I know that there is no chance of rain for that day in the forecast; otherwise, I put their food in their coop. I just don't want to take the chance of their food getting wet; I wouldn't want the food to spoil and cause them to get sick. [​IMG] Some folks might say that I am overthinking it a bit, but I don't think so! [​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Either will work. If you put it in the run will it stay dry? and will it attract wild birds or predators?

Imp

4. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Food in the coop so as not to feed rodents, attract wild birds, ... and don't have to worry about weather. Just be sure to keep rodents under control in coop with traps or whatever.

I have the main water bucket outside attached to the side of the shed. It fills automatically with a toilet float valve attached to a garden hose. There are nipple watering devices on the bottom of the bucket. In the winter (maybe not for you to worry about) I add an aquarium heater to the bucket.

I also keep a 3 gallon plastic waterer available as needed for inside the shed. There have been a few days due to wind or rain that the chickens have not been allowed outside. (our fence bordering a neighbor is not stable and could blow down [​IMG] ) Also if I have to disconnect the hose from the faucet during extremely prolonged cold temps I can use the indoor waterer as well. I have a one-gallon pitcher that I fill each time I go out to the coop during the day (2-3 times per day) and that seems to keep up with the demand.

We have 18 standard sized egglayers in the coop.

5. SteffyK

SteffyK Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2009
    NE Ohio
    All summer I fed and watered in the run. Most nights only the older wiser birds went in the coop to sleep. 2 weeks ago, i moved half the feeders and waterers into the coop to get them adjusted. Over the next month we will be putting in new nesting boxes. Once we are done getting the birds ready for winter, I will move the rest of the feeders and 2 more waterers in, leaving 4 waterers outside.

We have about 60 or so birds, and are not ready to cull yet.

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Always keep mine in the coop, as my chickens free range and come and go as they please.

7. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    My food and water is inside the coop, which is very secure. They go out to a covered run during the day. Food scraps that I put out there in the late afternoon don't always get eaten before it gets dark.

8. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    We keep a big waterer out in the run all the time. Inside, we keep a giant feeder and two waterers. We were keeping two feeders in the coop but the giant self filling feeder was big enough that all the girls can get food even when grumpy Sam is eating. I didn't want to attract varmints outside by keeping food there.

9. Booswalia

Booswalia Chillin' With My Peeps

Food and water in the coop. Extra water and treats in the run. But I only have three chickens.

10. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    In the summer the food and water is in a covered outside area. In the winter to keep the water from freezing I keep it in part of the coop. I like it better outside to prevent water spills in the coop as much as possible. Less water, less condensation and freezing of combs etc. ; but sometimes there is no choice.
    Speaking of winter. What happened to fall? It was summer here and suddenly this weekend it turned to winter. 30 some degrees overnite. My poor chickens must think it strange to have to cope with this weather change. It did cause two of them to start to molt. Feathers everywhere yesterday. Poor babies. Gloria Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by