Food/water in the duck house?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BigBlock, Nov 29, 2012.

1. BigBlock

BigBlock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2012
    Setting up a new house for my 2 ducks, not sure what I want to do with the food and water. Seems like I read somewhere that they don't need it at night but I can't find that again. I would like to leave it out if I can, just makes a bigger mess. Do they need food and water during the night?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Once grown, they do not need it, and I feel there are exceptions.

If it is really hot, water is very important. If it is really cold, being able to take in more calories is important.

I have a couple of solutions. One is to have an adjacent porch, covered in metal half inch hardware cloth (top, sides and bottom) with a sand floor covered with sawdust. The water and food go there. It's easy to clean up and the bedding in the duckhouse stays dry.

In winter, the ducks are in a different shelter so I have a watering station that is the bottom of a solid plastic dog crate. The water pot (flat bottom, straight up sides) sits on sawdust in that, and that keeps splash out of the bedding. The duck food is dry, so there is no mess from that.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yes, as Amiga said once grown most don't, i'm odd i do lol that said as winter approaches eventually i won't be able to for now the water is open so i still am but when it becomes frozen i will have to cease as i lack an ability to run hydro to all areas of the barn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by