Food & water inside the coop

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TysonDSMIowa, Jan 17, 2016.

1. TysonDSMIowa

TysonDSMIowa Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2015
    Des Moines Iowa
    Hello, I have heard conflicting arguments on putting food & water inside the coop. What are your thoughts?

2. biteme2134

biteme2134 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    I've always had food and water inside the coop. I have the main food and water outside the coop but I have some pvc feeders and hanging nipple waterers inside the coop. What if they want a midnight snack?
    I didn't know there people against food and water in the coop. I like having both because when I have new birds they can still get to food and water sway from the main flock and the main food sources

3. OEG Lifer

OEG Lifer Out Of The Brooder

I like having the feed inside, but I've found the water creates too much humidity. Chicken poop is wet enough. Too wet= respiratory issues. Or just a lot more coop cleans.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    IMO there's simply no need to have either in the coop but I move a feed station in the coop when the rain gives it the full beans. To be honest, it doesn't actually matter one jot - we should all do what works best for us.

Ct

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Mine are both in the coop...closed waterer with horizontal nipples, so no humidity issues there.
    It's always there for them, nice and dry, no matter how early the lights come on for winter laying,
    or when they decline to go outside like today when there's snow storm.

6. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I keep both in the coop. Been doing it for years with no problem. I'm using a 2.5 gal water fount on top of a cookie tin warmer. The water fount won't raise the humidity in the coop any measurable amount. Unless the coop is too small to begin with. And then, it's going to be the birds themselves, that raise the humidity. In the summer I'll put another fount outside. Can't have too much water in the summer. Feed cost too much, to leave outside to feed the wild birds around here. No to mention the possibility of drawing rodents, or whatever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by