Food

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AccentOnHakes, Aug 3, 2010.

1. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    How can I teach the chicks that the starter crumble is food?

2. kakayona

kakayona Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    Stratford
    Usually your chicks can and will live for 3 days without food after they hatch. don't worry about it. i read all your posts. they are living off their yolk yet.
    [​IMG]

3. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    They should figure it out on their own. [​IMG] And plus once 1 chick starts eating it..the others are soon to follow. [​IMG]

4. AccentOnHakes

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:That's what I thought, but none are eating yet.

5. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

My mom told me to boil an egg, mash it up into itsy bitsy chunks, and put it in the brooder for the chicks to eat. It's supposed to stimulate their appetite, but my chicks were already eating their chick starter before I could get the eggs boiled and mashed. Guess I was lucky. Hope they start eating soon!

6. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    hrm. [​IMG] well i don't know how tame your chicks are but if they are tame. theen. normally when I tap my finger on my chick's food they come over and peck at it. It sounds sorta weird..but normally it makes them come see what I'm doin'. I would also recomend that you do the boiled egg thing another person on here suggested. My chicks loved the boiled egg/ you can also do quick oats, and water melon. oh and also how old r your chicks?

7. AccentOnHakes

Oct 2, 2009
    OK, two are eating now. We have three, but the third is very weak and might not make it. :\\

8. BackToMyRoots

BackToMyRoots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Matthews, NC
    [​IMG] Sorry to hear that the last one isn't perking up. How is everybody pooping? Is the sickly one pooping at all, or is it just liquid? I just read on another post that sometimes they sneak a few bites when we're not looking, so if they're pooping, they're eating something.

9. adbayer

adbayer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    i just took my little guys and dipped their beaks into the feed, and set them back down. they came back when they were hungry [​IMG]
    buena fortuna with your little ones!

10. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Aw so sorry to hear bout the weak one. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by