Food?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by joeyfender, Mar 3, 2013.

1. joeyfender

joeyfender Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Texas
    My chicks should be getting here this week. They will be one week old when I receive them. I will get medicated feed, but any tips on what brand? Thanks.

2. Demosthine

Demosthine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    We use the Purina Start & Grow crumble from our local tack shop. It is generally about $22.99 for a 25-pound bag, if I remember right, but I could be wrong. My seven chickens are absolutely thriving on it and growing well. My oldest two Barred Rocks recently started laying at about 23 weeks. Since then, we've added the crushed eggshell for their calcium supplement, but they are staying on the Start & Grow for the rest of the bag.

Once it's gone, I think I'll be switching to FlockRaiser. Just starting out, I would probably recommend just starting with that. It is designed for flocks that have chickens in all stages of development, which is what mine is. The Start & Grow has a 18% protein content, while the FlockRaiser has a 20%. There really isn't enough of a difference to justify the two different brands, but I just have the gut feeling that the FlockRaiser is slightly more appropriate for my flock now.

Either way, my girls have beautiful feathers, bright colored wattles and combs, and have an endless amount of energy. I do ferment the feed prior to giving it to them, which adds to the nutritional benefit and decreases feed costs. Look at the Fermented Feed for Meat Birds or Natural Chicken Keeping's blog for excellent information on that. I will never feed dry food again.

3. joeyfender

Mar 1, 2013
    Texas
    I just went by TSC and got all the items I need for my brooder and I picked up MannaPro medicated Chick Starter.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    That's a very reputable brand. Good luck to you and your chicks!!

5. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    What are you getting?

6. joeyfender

Mar 1, 2013
    Texas
    I believe they are RIRs but there are two black chicks in the group I will be receiving the chicks from. One is black on top with goldish- yellow in the bottom and the other is black with two yellow stripes down the side. Any ideas on what these two are?

7. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    No, sorry. I'm a complete newbie and getting my first chicks the 12th. But if you post pics when you get them I'm sure someone will be able to tell you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by