food

Discussion in 'Geese' started by burn14me, Dec 21, 2013.

1. burn14me

burn14me New Egg

Jun 30, 2012
    is there something my geese are lacking. the last week we have had lots of rain..creek swelled an I have several tree stumps along creek bank. the geese are eating this one stump realy tearing into it...any ideas as to y......not conserned cept for diet.

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Most likely there are really tasty bugs in there. Bugs to them are like potato chips to us (just better for their health), you aren't going to turn down a bag even if you have all the right food for you in the house.

3. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Geese just love to chew on things and sticks are also fun to carry around and eat the bark off of. Mine also like my fersytha bush, the burning bush, my beautiful Japanese crimson lace leaf tree. Good thing we have it fenced so they can not eat all the leafs off and twigs....... They ate all my hosta's and believe me we have lots of trees that have nuts on them and fall down and the geese eat on them to.
    So nothing new about your's eating the bark off. They do play in mud puddles to eat mineral's.
    [​IMG]

4. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

I bet if you check out this tree stump you will find plenty of termites
    oh what a yummy treat for them ..........

gander007 [​IMG]

5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Oh I see you are fairly new so [​IMG] and enjoy your geese
    they will live for several decades .......

gander007 [​IMG]

6. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    In all the 7 years I have had Sebastopol's I have never seen them eat a bug. Guess they do it when I am not looking...

7. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    I got them because they reduce the skeeter population. They also really like termites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by