Foods For a Chicken Diet

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by suki'smom, Aug 10, 2011.

1. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    I'm trying to put together a feed for my chickens so that even in our long Wisconsin winters they can have a healthy and varied diet. So far I've got layer pellets, alfalfa pellets, sunflower seeds, safflower seeds, buckwheat, pumpkin seeds, and oats with toppings like kale and fish scraps. Any other ideas?

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    suki'smom :

I'm trying to put together a feed for my chickens so that even in our long Wisconsin winters they can have a healthy and varied diet. So far I've got layer pellets, alfalfa pellets, sunflower seeds, safflower seeds, buckwheat, pumpkin seeds, and oats with toppings like kale and fish scraps. Any other ideas?

I think you have a great list going on. I can't think of anything else.​

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have some listed on my BYC page that I use.

4. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    suki'smom :

Here is another members recipe...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=59997

5. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:Hehehehehe just posted your link....[​IMG]

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Hehehehehe just posted your link....[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's too cute! [​IMG]

7. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sprouts are always good. I sprout mung beans, fenugreek, alfalfa. You can get the fenugreek from an online spice store and it will sprout well. It's a legume, high in protein and increases appetite. Chia, both plain and sprouted is awesome. Mustard sprouts, radish sprouts, cabbage, beets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by