foods that make eggs taste good

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by juliacale, Oct 29, 2007.

1. juliacale

juliacale Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2007
    Any foods that make eggs taste good? My chickens free range my garden when I'm home. Otherwise they have access to a 20' x 80' pen.

Any suggestions?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The protein they get from the bugs and such make a richer yolk. I don't know anything that makes an egg taste better. Eggs taste great as is to me. [​IMG]

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    avoid food that makes tem taste bad would be my advice...linseed...flax...fish...garlic... onions etc ...some feeds use fishmeal and so if you are noticing a funny taste in your eggs a simple change of feed can often correct this.(onions are toxic to birds anyway but often escape notice when the birds are given table scraps)

4. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

I knew a guy who gave them herbs, chilli powder too.
    His mates said that they noticed the difference in taste!!

5. FrozenChicken

FrozenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    3 parts wheat -1 part Oats Crushed

6. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    i agree that bugs make yolk richer. i am trying to grow grasshoppers over winter in a tub so they can have treats. we'll see if that works. if not, i know the grasshoppers will descend next year to eat the grapevines anyway. i would consider them a plague, they sort of are, but since the animals love to eat them, well, i let it be. now, if they ate the grapes......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by