Foods to stay away from?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Feathers Acres, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Feathers Acres

Feathers Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Michigan
    I've heard of all these treats to feed my chickens, But I havent heard any to stay away from. Are there any treats that could potential harm my chickens?. Or can they pretty much eat any treats and veggies?.

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    The only thing I know for sure is raw potato peels. I read here they are toxic. Other than that I feed them anything we eat. Nothing moldy or rotten. I hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  3. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I've heard you are supposed to avoid dry beans as well.

4. MariposaMama

MariposaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Mariposa, CA
    I think I read to stay away from citrus, too, but I don't know why. [​IMG]

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    are there any greens or cabbage that they can not eat?

6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Mustard family plants are known to cause some problems with livestock and people. This family includes cabbage, kale, leaf mustard, turnips, etc.

I really don't know what to think about this since many of these plants are often food for people and grown as forage crops for livestock. I'm sure that there are some that are less palatable and more toxic than others. But certainly, we and our animals should be getting a varied diet and not trying to live on these plants.

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/toxic/plant34.htm

Many, many plants can build up nitrates and become toxic. This is especially true when the plants are growing in less than ideal conditions. For example, when a field has flooded or under drought conditions or when there is excessive nitrogen in the soil.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by