Foolhardy? You bet and I'm loving every minute of it!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BigDaddy'sGurl, Sep 30, 2010.

1. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    After getting fed up cleaning an old, antiquaited brooder for the millionth time, I caught myself eyeballing my silkie hen...and my eyes wandered back to the actual inhabitants of said brooder, 5 mixed breed chicks that are around a month old. Hmmm, wonder what would happen if I merged the two? NeeNee, the silkie, is not broody, but she is the lowest hen on the totem pole, hence the isolation because she was getting thin from being run around by the big girls. I carefully set one baby into NeeNee's coop...and waited. She seemed rather perplexed and kept looking and looking...no aggression though....so I introduced another...same reaction. And another. Still no attack...waiting...finally, all five babies were in NeeNee's personal space...and she didn't seem to care. Soon they were sharing the waterer, the feed, all with NeeNee's calm regard. It's been a couple of hours and she is completely tolerant still. No pecking whatsoever! Please no criticism...I know I am taking my little ones' safety in my hands, but I really do think NeeNee is up to this... : )[​IMG]

Are all silkies like this?

2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Good .... I hope she will 'adopt' the young ones and have company!!![​IMG]

3. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Silkies are nice chickens! Even though my cockerels did make each other's combs bleed ONCE....

4. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Update: NeeNee is still playing mommie...and she even went so far as to "call" the chicks when I offered her treats! She took grass I offered and dropped it on the ground while calling! LOL

[​IMG]

5. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    BigDaddy'sGurl :

Update: NeeNee is still playing mommie...and she even went so far as to "call" the chicks when I offered her treats! She took grass I offered and dropped it on the ground while calling! LOL

[​IMG]

What a sweet girl! [​IMG]

6. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    yet another update: NeeNee is officially "broody", lol....although she is at the point of lay, and has never been with a chick before now, she is officially a surrogate mother! She's been progressively more "motherly" for the last couple of days, and a few minutes ago I went out with a flashlight to check on her in the dark and at first panicked because the babies were gone! Looked closer and realized ALL five little ones that are over a month old were UNDER NeeNee! She was clucking quietly and had settled herself over them to the point that I had to reach under to even feel one. I think she is actually propped up by the little boogers...and she is on cloud nine. I think I have officially got myself a feathered "brooder" and may employ her services for the next group once these little ones outgrow her... : )

7. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Thats great! I wish I had one! You are soooo lucky!

8. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    thank you so much! Who would have thought that a point of lay pullet who had never even delivered an egg before would happily adopt a rag-tag gang of mixed breed chicks that are already feathered out? Hilarious and adorable at the same time...

9. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    That is the BEST story I've heard on this site in ages! You are really lucky to have Nee Nee! She's a golden girl!

10. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    That's such a great story. Hope you have continued success! Way to go neenee [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by