Foolish broody - but it's really my fault...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Engteacher, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    I have a first time broody who has been sitting on two eggs for 17 days. Today, I found her sitting in the wrong nest box and her eggs were completely cold. It's my fault. I should have moved her into isolation, but I have another girl in the dog box who should be hatching on Thursday. I just hadn't gotten around to getting another pen for this one.

Anyway, should I toss these two cold eggs or tuck them back under her and cross my fingers? I mean, what's the worst that could happen?

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd certainly put them back under her. Some broodies stay off their clutch a lot longer than others, and chick development is designed to tolerate a certain amount of temperature fluctuation. They're not dead yet, I hope!

I've been having similar problems with a young broody, and recently a second broody decided she wanted that nest box. In the ensuing confusion, the eggs got cold a couple of times. None have started stinking yet. Actually, #2 pecked one to death -- the embryo looked healthy. So don't give up yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2010
  3. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    Quote:That was my first instinct, too, but I'm in Minnesota. The outside temp is in the mid-twenties and the coop temp is probably in the mid-forties. I'll wait and watch. Cross your fingers!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, put them back under her. There was someone here who's broody flew over the fence and was off the eggs for 8 or so hours. She still had some hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by