1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Foot and leg Injuries

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DURR, Feb 27, 2013.

1. DURR

DURR Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    Screven, GA, US
    Ok so I just bought two Game roosters from a man and one of the roosters feet are in bad shape they are swollen and sliced open in several spots along his toes and his spurs were ripped off to the quik. I have been cleaning them and rinsing them with peroxide and then spraying blu-kote on it and started him on a penicillin regimen. Is there anything that I can give him for pain? I have him in a brooder cage in deep bedding because it hurts for him to walk on hard surfaces. This rooster also has some damage to his top half of beak ( looks like it was also ripped off some how.) Also another rooster has a bad limp, how long will it take for his limp to go away?

Can you give chickens baby aspirin?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    In a sticky on this forum there's link to a writeup about medications. this is from that writeup

Pain Relief

Aspirin - for pain relief. Dosage is approximately 25 mg per pound of chicken's body weight each day (A standard baby Aspirin is 80 mg, and a standard adult Aspirin pill is 325 mg). This information is from the Poultry Podiatry website. Warning: aspirin thins the blood and should not be used if internal bleeding is suspected or in cases where a wound will not stop bleeding.

3. DURR

DURR Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    Screven, GA, US
    Ok thank you! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by