Foot Feathers and bleeding

Lildon

Hatching
Jun 5, 2021
Hey guys,

I just came home after being gone for a few hours and my one chicken that has a few feathers on her feet was all bloody. I read some other posts on here about using cornstarch or flour to stop bleeding. Also I saw about potentially pulling out the feather stubs (probably the wrong word) to prevent future damage. There is no active bleeding, I am just afraid my other 13 chickens might be pecking at her feet and making it worse. I am thinking to just clean them up with warm water and stop any bleeding after that. Can I use hydrogen peroxide?

Just looking for any additional advice/information on the subject. I don't want them to get infected and don't want the other hens harrasing her/making it worse.

Background info: 6 of my hens are a little over a year old and the other 8 are about 4 months old, one of the younger ones being the injured one. A few of the older ones still pick on the little ones, but they have a safe place to retreat. I have little experience and have gotten most of my knowledge from the internet. I will add photos shortly.

PXL_20210605_224349175.jpg

PXL_20210605_224403430.jpg

PXL_20210605_224412193.jpg

Last edited:
It appears she's getting pecked by the others on her feet. If she's the only one with feathered feet, it's all the more novel, and chickens do recognize differences like that.

Clean with soap and water, and if you have Vetericyn wound spray, use that instead of peroxide as peroxide injures tissue. Then when the feet are dry, paint Blu-kote on the wounds that are red. This will doubly protect them from infection and camouflage them so the others will lose interest in pecking them.

If you don't have Vetericyn and Blu-kote, your chicken first aid kit should have them. I suggest you get these two wound care products as soon as you're able.

Thank you for the help! I will find those as soon as possible and get her taken care of. I have a dog kennel/cage that I can keep her in so they stop pecking her while she heals.

I don't really have anything as far as first aid or for illnesses...can you recommend any other good products/medicine to keep on hand?

Besides those two items, virgin, unrefined coconut oil is a must. And a bottle of calcium citrate tablets 600mg if you have laying hens. The oil can treat impacted crop and constipation in small chicks and it tastes good so chickens will often take it on their own. The calcium citrate is to use if you have sudden problems with egg quality or egg binding.

And last, Poultry Nutridrench for sick chicks and chickens and some Pedialyte or Gatoraid for emergency treatment for shock.

Keep her confined until you can get the wound care products. After you paint the Blu-kote on her feet, she can go back to her flock. They shouldn't bother her feet because they will be purple.

Back
Top Bottom