1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Foot feathers and how to keep them

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Wendy'sChicksRock, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    Whats the very best way to keep all my silkies and cochins feet nice? I dont want all the broken feathers and poo stuck to them.. What do all you pro's do??
    I keep them in deep shavings but isnt working?
    Thank you for the tips...

2. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    Bump... anyone????

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I've always used the deep litter method in my coops. I have LF brahma adults and I have some feather footed breeds in the juvenile coop as well. Their feet get dirty sometimes, but they get clean again too. I don't see a problem. [​IMG]

4. BloominOrchid

BloominOrchid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    I do a combo of Hay & shavings in the coop.
    In the run I have a sand base, but given the cold has settled in I have hay on top of the sand in the run too.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  5. DutchieWannabe

DutchieWannabe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    Idaho
    My Brahma's feet feathers are always dirty, broken etc.... bumping for advice

6. dgeter

dgeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    I keep deep shavings in my coop. All my silkies have decent foot feathering and I haven't had too much of an issue. Occasionally I have to bring them inside for a bath but I think thats pretty normal. There isn't too much you can do to stop chickens from walking in their poo [​IMG]

7. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    i use deep litter in winter their feet feathers do get dirty and ruffed up but in spring everything is good again right now i have 12 silkies and 9 cuckoo marans in 8x8 coop for winter i like to crowd for warmeth in winter

8. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Clean, clean, clean . . . I scoop the coops and pens every day with a kitty litter scoop, whisk broom and trusty old bucket. When I give the bantam feather feet piles of wheat straw to pick through, I cut up the straw so there are no long pieces to catch on their foot feathers.

I also don't have a life.

Anyhoo, the bantam cochins' feathers seem to hold up (curved and flexible) better than say, the Dutch booted bantam feet (longer and more rigid than cochin feathers).

9. dgeter

dgeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Quote:Haha [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by