Foot Growths?HELP! Will get pics!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TaylorChicken, Jul 13, 2010.

1. TaylorChicken

TaylorChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    San Diego,CA
    Hello I have 2 Bantam Couchin chickans (a hen and rooster) I have had them for a little over a year. The rooster has what looks like mutated feet he has these bulges of what looks like flesh coming off his toes, the sole of his foot, ALL OVER! I was told by the breeder I got them from that his feet were mutated from the wire cage he was in and not knowing any better I never questioned it...The rooster doesn't walk funny or anything but the other night I tried researching something that looked like this and came up with nothing so today I went out and soaked his feet and got all the dirt off and the "growths" started to peel off! Once peeled off they look like chestnuts that horses get...also his spurs are REALLY long I could never see that they were long before because his leg feathers covered but I guess what I need to know is if any of this sounds familiar to anyone? and if it's okay to just clip the spurs off obviously not clipping the quick...If anybody knows anything about the growths or spurs any help would be MUCH appriciated!

I will post pics in the morning I just brought him in the house and he finally went to bed so I didn't want to disturb him with pictures, lol.

Thanks so much!
    Taylor:)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    There's a good chance he has scaley leg. You can click on the link in my sig below for information on treating it.
    I'm glad you noticed the problem [​IMG] Best wishes!

3. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Yes, sound like scaley leg might. quite easy to treat.

4. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    I also just added a section you can read about Trimming and Blunting Roosters' Spurs on the web page.

Things peeling off the bottom soles of your rooster's feet wouldn't be scaley leg. These would probably be bumblefoot sores. There is also info on treating Bumblefoot on the webpage, as well as lots of good info you can find on BYC by using the "Search" function.

Hope this helps. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by