Foot infection???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by veronicadm8, Nov 9, 2014.

1. veronicadm8

veronicadm8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2014
    Hi all,
    I have a young frizzled silkie (I believe to be a rooster) about 5 mos old. He has a slight foot deformity. At first it wasn't a problem, I didn't even notice it. When he got a little older he had a slight limp, but still got around just fine. By that time I didn't feel I could correct the foot and didn't care since he got around ok. Recently, he started to limp worse so I took another look- see pics. It looks to me like it's infected. Basically, one of his toes fold under and the puffy part is the part he walks on. HELP?!?! Never had this issue before. Thanks!

![​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks a little like a tumor or an abscess. Does it feel firm or squishy? Walking with toes curled under can be a sign of riboflavin deficiency, and if treated early with vitamins may be helped. I would do some warm epsom salt soaks indoors to get it cleaned up, and try to see if it helps. Be sure to dry the foot well. Did the cockerel have a Mareks vaccine?

3. veronicadm8

veronicadm8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2014
    He did have a Marek's vaccine. It feels mostly squishy but slightly firm right above where my thumb is on the first pic. No change, I've been soaking it. I don't think it's a deficiency, I supplement their water. I think the foot has always been slightly deformed but looks infected now. I've been cleaning it and applying topical ointment. No change. I have some antibiotics and am thinking about trying them? I hate doing it.... I dread injections.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by