Foot injury again

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flockmomma, Aug 15, 2013.

1. flockmomma

flockmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Wyoming
    I THINK this one is an actual foot injury this time. Still not sure what happened to Lucy three-four weeks ago.

Anyway, my husband told me that when he put up the birds last night, one of the RSLs was gimping a bit. She was still gimping this morning. None of my RSLs had a crooked toe before, but this one appears to. She seems to limp as if this foot is the one that hurts, but seems to take more weight on it than the other.

Do you think it is broken? If it is, is there anything I should do for it?

Btw, she still laid us an egg earlier. And her poops are normal. I have to add some hay to her pen yet (put her in there to keep the others away). If it is just a broken toe, would she be oky out with the others?

And as an aside, we got a Nubian milk goat a week ago, who lives in the pasture attached to the chicken coop. So it is totally feasible that she got it stepped on by the goat (our two doelings could have done it too, but unlikely since they are still small).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. flockmomma

May 8, 2013
    Wyoming
    And duh, it is the right foot with the crooked toe.

3. Animal lover342

Animal lover342 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    This has happened to our turkeys before. The toe is probably broken but there isn't anything you can do for it, it will heal. She probably jumped off something an just landed wrong. She'll be fine

4. flockmomma

May 8, 2013
    Wyoming
    Yeah, this one just has me jumpy since we lost a hen two weeks ago to something that started out as a limp. The thing is, with that one, there was on obviously injured area on the foot. Now, hers could have been more up in her hip (crossbeak EE, didn't have any fat to spare once she got sick or injured), but not knowing what happened to make the other one so weak has me a bit worried.

5. Animal lover342

Aug 7, 2013
    I understand. I had some turkey chicks that were dying and I didn't know what was causing it and still not sure what it was. How long has she been like this?

6. Animal lover342

Aug 7, 2013
    Never mind you posted when I forgot sorry.

7. flockmomma

May 8, 2013
    Wyoming
    This one started last night. My husband told me about it after he put them up for the night.

8. Animal lover342

Aug 7, 2013
    Well if she is acting normal and getting around pretty well she should be ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by