Foot Injury or sore

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by montanamountainchick, Jan 16, 2011.

1. montanamountainchick

montanamountainchick New Egg

Jun 8, 2010
    I took this girl to the vet, but the vet didn't think it was bumblefoot.
    One of my leghorns has a very big lump with dark scab (dried blood) on her outside big toe. Looks very sore. The whole toe is swollen and isn't getting better after one week.
    Vet said bumblefoot is usually on the bottom of the foot. The vet doesn't see chickens much, and deals with exotics and raptor rehab.
    So...what to do. I've been soaking it in an antiseptic compound that vet gave me 2-3 times a day and then applying antibiotic salve.
    It's been a week, still sore for her and not changing.
    There's another vet an hr and a half away he might know better. I'm tempted.
    Just wondering if anyone has experience with antibiotics for these kinds of sores.
    I think it was an injury from a wire on the fencing which may have poked her when she jumped on it one day recently.
    I heard bumblefoot could have staph bacteria and one should be very careful.
    The vet is trying to find out advice from other vets by posting a picture on these subscription websites accessible only to vets, so maybe she'll have some info on Monday.
    The girls been living in my bathroom all week, and that is getting tiring but I don't want the others to peck her injury or her to stress in the colder temps (altho I keep it above freezing in their coop.
    Thanks for any good advice.
    [​IMG]

2. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Pictures would help. I'd pick the scab to check it out as from your description it is most likely bumblefoot. They can get the infection anywhere on the foot for it to get infected, although the bottom is more common. [​IMG]

Check this out:
    http://successwithpoultry.blogspot.com/2009/09/bumblefoot-chicken.html Below the advertisement is a great video of caring for bumblefoot!

3. montanamountainchick

montanamountainchick New Egg

Jun 8, 2010
    Thanks so much for sending the link.
    Very helpful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by