1. Vermont Poultry

Vermont Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    About a week and a half ago one of the RSL hens started slightly limping. I ignored it the first day because it was so slight it was almost not noticeable. It got better and stopped limping, but now all the sudden its swollen and warm. What should I do, this particular chicken does not like being separated. Should I separate it anyway or separate it with another chicken as company. I would provide pictures but my phone is currently broken. The best way to describe is that its normal color, but enlarged hock and around the area were the toes meet. Is there a possible internal infection?

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

From your description, it sounds to me like she has an injury that is either unrelated to the initial one or the initial injury has taken a turn for the worse. Separating her and keeping her quiet (so she's less active) will give the suspected injury the best chance of healing.

Have you checked her foot thoroughly for any signs of wounds? The symptoms also sound similar to bumblefoot, but you would see a wound, like a black spot, on the bottom of the affected foot.

A comprehensive guide is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/leg-foot-and-toe-issues-in-poultry-of-all-ages.

Hope she recovers soon.

3. Vermont Poultry

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    Very weird. She has completely recovered (in 24 hours), went from standing on one leg to running around like a crazy chicken and having fun at the new place we just moved into. It's not bumble foot because there is no puncture, or scab. She has healed and got worse again before so I will keep my eye on her.

4. Vermont Poultry

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    Thanks!

5. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Glad to hear she's feeling better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by