Foot Injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jllracer55, Feb 9, 2019.

1. jllracer55

jllracer55 Chirping

May 23, 2017
    Looking for some advice as to what might be going wrong with this chickens left foot? She is limping from it quite excessively.

Attached Files:

casportpony likes this.
  2. A_Fowl_Guy

A_Fowl_Guy Crowing

Jan 29, 2019
    Newberry, Indiana
    Texas Kiki and casportpony like this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Looks like it could be from mites, might also be an infection from them.

Texas Kiki and A_Fowl_Guy like this.
  4. A_Fowl_Guy

A_Fowl_Guy Crowing

Jan 29, 2019
    Newberry, Indiana
    So the recommendation for the mites would be a warm soak, exfoliate the leg, and olive oil (personal preference). Infection treatment?

Texas Kiki and casportpony like this.
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Yeah, I would soak, debride, treat for lice with ivermectin and I might give some amoxicillin too.

Texas Kiki likes this.
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Where do you live? Is it cold winter or freezing temps? Any chance of frostbite? It kind of looks like an injury with swelling of the toes, discoloration, and scabbing. Could she have been stepped on or had the foot crushed or injured under something? I would soak the feet in warm Epsom salts daily and apply some antibiotic ointment to the scabby area twice a day.

upload_2019-2-9_18-28-36.jpeg

Kris5902 likes this.
  7. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Did you candle today?

What do the bottom of the feet look like? Can you get a picture of them?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Wyorp Rock likes this.
  8. jllracer55

jllracer55 Chirping

May 23, 2017
    I personally wondered if it was related to the cold. Sorry I thought my profile had location.. but I am in Iowa so yes it has been a very cold winter here.. last week had temps that were feel like down to -50, real temp was somewhere between -10 to -20. But a section of the coop has some insulated walls in it on purpose to help with cold temps, based off of what I saw today it looks like during the day the birds huddle together in this cold area. I was hoping maybe an epson salt soaking would help her, I will try that tomorrow now that I didn't get back to the post until late, and get a picture of the bottom of her foot. sure hope its not frost bite :/ I added wood shavings to the coop trying to help warm the floor.. have no other heat source I can add besides a heat lamp and everyone keeps saying NO NO NO because its such a bad fire hazard.

9. Kris5902

Kris5902 Songster

Oct 12, 2018
    British Columbia, Canada
    Following... I think you hit the nail on the head in the title “foot Injury”. Agree with @Eggcessive could there have been a trauma or crushing incident?

Eggcessive likes this.
  10. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Did you candle today?

I don't deal with frostbite issues ever...so I don't know a thing about it.
    If it is frostbite would it be bad to Epsom salt soak her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: