Foot injury

How long did you soak her?
What are you feeding, including treats?

Not quite sure what to think of it.
About 5-10 minutes. She eats chick starter. The only other food she has access to is I do a compost/scrap bin in there coop. They pick through what they want. She’s in a coop with three of her sisters her mom and 5 other grown hens....

About 5-10 minutes. She eats chick starter. The only other food she has access to is I do a compost/scrap bin in there coop. They pick through what they want. She’s in a coop with three of her sisters her mom and 5 other grown hens....
The compost is in the coop or is it in the run? Is the run damp all over or just in certain areas?

The tissue on the legs and feet look to be breaking down - similar to contact dermatitis - basically the feet are not drying out and/or they are getting damp/wet debris (poop/dirt, etc.) stuck between the toes which then promotes softening of the tissues/infection, etc.

Make sense? I would check all the chicks feet just to make sure it's not happening with them too.

In the photo below, it looks like there's debris that could be removed from between the toes - have you tried to see if that will come out?

1593744685627.png

The compost is in the coop or is it in the run? Is the run damp all over or just in certain areas?

The tissue on the legs and feet look to be breaking down - similar to contact dermatitis - basically the feet are not drying out and/or they are getting damp/wet debris (poop/dirt, etc.) stuck between the toes which then promotes softening of the tissues/infection, etc.

Make sense? I would check all the chicks feet just to make sure it's not happening with them too.

In the photo below, it looks like there's debris that could be removed from between the toes - have you tried to see if that will come out?

View attachment 2224526
The compost is in the run sorry. It’s just one small corner. The run is not damp at all. We don’t get any rain and I also use shavings. Now it is possible that they are getting dirty when they sleep... mom still cuddles them in the broody box. They haven’t roosted yet... the other babies all look fine. She’s acting strange to. I assume because it hurts but when I first saw her I thought she was sick. Hunched over (kinda rounded and real quiet)
Yes there is dirt stuck in the wound. I can’t get it out. I’ve been soaking with Epsom salt and using a wound cleaning spray but I don’t want to tear any more skin so I haven’t tried to aggressively to clean it. I think she was hurt for a day or so and walking in the dirt before I noticed

Can you get some photos of her and her poop too?
Is she still hunching up?
She’s definitely not acting like a normal chicken. Very still, quiet. But she is eating. Pooping normal

Attachments

• 561CD872-FA28-48FC-BE2E-B163FF2929E2.jpeg
    561CD872-FA28-48FC-BE2E-B163FF2929E2.jpeg
    466 KB · Views: 10
  • 511176A2-7FBC-40E4-B70A-3C35EB79AAAA.jpeg
    511176A2-7FBC-40E4-B70A-3C35EB79AAAA.jpeg
    600.7 KB · Views: 11
She’s definitely not acting like a normal chicken. Very still, quiet. But she is eating. Pooping normal
Is her crop empty in the morning?
Poop looks o.k. there, but my concern would be she's quiet, her stance is not quite right, you mention her hunching up....in chicks Coccidiosis can be a problem. If you can take a sample of her poop for testing that would be a good idea. If not, then I would consider getting some Corid and treating her.

Is her crop empty in the morning?
Poop looks o.k. there, but my concern would be she's quiet, her stance is not quite right, you mention her hunching up....in chicks Coccidiosis can be a problem. If you can take a sample of her poop for testing that would be a good idea. If not, then I would consider getting some Corid and treating her.
Ok something to think about for sure. I will check her crop in the morning. I do have Corid on hand

Back
Top Bottom