FOOT/LEG PROBLEMS - Need advise

mommastump

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 30, 2012
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I have a teenage Roo that is walking with a limp/hop thing. I thought maybe it was Bumble foot, but I don't think it is. When I had him in the towel I felt his legs up to body, nothing feels broken. His feet are very close to each other when he stands, in fact some toes are usually on the other foots' toes. Almost pigeoned toed. (no pun intended) The "pads" of his feet are similar in size shape and texture on both feet. Soft and palpable, neither is hot to the touch. There are no scabs on either foot. All "toes" move and do not feel broken.
I soaked his left foot in epson salt for awhile, soaked the left because he seems to favor that one most. I have separated him into a smaller coop so he can rest and not have to go far for food and water.
I have included some photos if someone could please give me some advise. Left Foot

Right Foot

Right Foot

Left Foot

Both of those feet seem normal. Is it possible he sprained/strained his leg jumping off of a high roost or something? I'd isolate him in a cage or a crate with a low roost and a thick layer of bedding and just let him rest for a while.

Another (less easily fixed, less pleasant) possibility is that he has Marek's Disease. What is his exact age, and do you know if he was vaccinated for this disease? Marek's Disease often first appears as limping, and usually progresses to paralysis and death.

Hopefully, he just strained his muscles on something.

Good luck!

He was hatched April 26, 2013. He was not vaccinated. When I was feeling his legs he seemed to draw up his leg when I was up at his belly. Would Marek's cause him to walk upon his own feet? Thank you for the advise, I will be researching Marek's today.

Back
Top Bottom