Foot/leg problems spreading in flock of chicks (photos)

laura70inak

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 7, 2008
I posted yesterday about a chick w/curled up legs and feet
I got some pictures to show what is going on

now 5 chicks have the trouble it starts as walking and stumbling problems then the foot just curls up and the chicken flops to its haunches and wallows around
I keep getting told it is spraddle or straddle leg but these birds have been on hay and straw for 2 weeks ever since we received them in the mail
I just put them on pine shavings because I was told this would help
could I have a vitamin problem?

that looks nothing at all like spraddle leg. it could easily be a vitamin deficiency but im not sure what else could cause this. hopefully and expert can tell you. where did you get the birds? did you call them and tell them about the problem?

I know it doesn't look like spraddle leg that is what is so frustrating! I got them from McMurray hatchery. I called them and was told to put the chicks on wire bottom cage but I don't quite have that option you know?

Quote:
yay! another one! where in Alaska do you live?

also, wire floor might be an option.
sad.png
im sorry about your chicks. i've recently switched from Mc Murray to Randall Burkey. they have cheaper everything and a bigger variety of breeds. i also hear their chicks are healthier.

try giving them pedialyte or watered down gatorade. poor things
sad.png

Best guess is that you have a mineral or vitamin deficiency. Did the chicks arrive like this or has it developed recently- they are 2 weeks old? If this just started recently, around 10-14 days is when the vits/minerals provided by MOM & yolk is all used up- and they are depending on the food only. Lack of RIBOFLAVIN in the starter ration is listed as being a cause of 'curled toe paralyis' the photo certainly looks like that- symptoms are down on hocks with inward curled toes. Chick is alert, but legs are very weak. If caught early- all these little guys need is a multivitamin supplement in their water ASAP- make sure it contains riboflavin. What are you feeding, how old is it, and where did it come from. Report the problem to the feed store that you got this food from if it is less than 1 month old. Also ASAP---If you bought a local milled food, switch immediately to a commercial chick start. If you bought from a bulk bin that you don't know how old the food is, or if you are using food you bought more than a few months ago- get new commercial food.

try polyvisol and check the internet for chicks with curled toes they show how to make little boots for them.my chick had same problem i made little boot now babies foot is straight

Quote:
Agreed! You can find Poly-vi-sol (without iron) in the vitamin department of your local department store like Walmart. I've been putting 4 or 5 drops in my chicks water since they were hatched. In this case, you might want to up it to around 8-10 drops for a few days.

Polyvisol is made by Similac.

I have a single hen with this same problem, and no one seems to know what it is. We have vitamins ad minerals because we thought it was a deficiency, but it did not help, and it started right around the time that they all started to lay, which is why he thought of the deficiency. But nothing has helped, and her feet are still curled. She is over a year old now, almost 2, so I'm not sure if there is anything that I can do for her now.

Back
Top Bottom