Foot on Hen Help :)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CoopedUpChicken, Dec 21, 2016.

1. CoopedUpChicken

CoopedUpChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    My hen has been limping. I turned her over and saw that her upper toe is a little bit swollen and on the outside of the tow (the part you can see when she is walking around) just above ground level on that outside part is a tiny bit of black shading. It's not solid black, it is patchy in an area about the size of a child's pinky nail.

From what I have learned, if it were bumblefoot - she'ld have an obvious black spot on the bottom of her feet and there's nothing on the bottom of her feet (or toes)... I could be wrong.

Any advice?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos?

You can try soaking her foot in a warm epsom salts bath to see if that helps reduce the swelling. After she has soaked for a while, gently clean the feet with a soft brush. This will help you get a better look at it.

Bumblefoot is usually associated with a black patch or spot on the bottom of the foot, but it is technically any swelling/inflammation or infection of the foot. Sometimes it can be just a small nick between the toes that would cause swelling like you are seeing.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1145967/foot-on-hen-help

3. CoopedUpChicken

CoopedUpChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    I will try it - thanks!!!!!!

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Let us know how she is doing and if you can post some photos that would be good, it may be easier to help you figure out what's going on.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by