Foot pics...should I treat?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RachG75, Jan 14, 2017.

1. RachG75

RachG75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2016
    Central Illinois
    Opal's right
    [​IMG]
    Opal's left
    [​IMG]

Pearl's Right
    [​IMG]
    Pearl's Left
    [​IMG]

We have been having a really tough winter with frigid temps and freezing rain. For the last month, they have been in their new yard which is covered in wash sand. They spend the nights in their house which is deep litter of straw and pine shavings. I try to rake the sand to keep it soft, but when it's 4 degrees and covered in ice, it's tough. Half of their yard has a roof though and that sand stays soft. They also have a little place to hide out of the wind, under that roof, but still in the sun, which is covered in about 5 inches of straw. When I rake the frozen sand and break it up, their are lots of clumps, which end up being like walking on rocks or pea gravel probably. Should I not try to brake it up? We are getting more ice today and tomorrow. Lovely. So, does that look like the start of bumblefoot? Scared for my girls! Completely willing to bring them in to treat. I will go and read the right threads if some knowledgeable ppl will direct me. Thanks.

We now have a webcam! It's so much fun and my son's class checks it at school sometimes. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I do have many choices on hand... epsom salts, vetericyn spray. neosporin without pain relief, vinegar, bandages, tape. Could not find any clear iodine. We have an ice storm so I can't go running around this weekend looking for it; just checked closest pharmacy and no luck. I do have betadine and mupirocin. I even have silvadene cream and tea tree oil.

My girls are both eating and drinking fine. Seem active and happy.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They would probably get into a tub of water and bathe. I'd be careful with a heat lamp over top with the way they splash water. Your area for them looks great y'll have done a great jog. Finishing that wall will be great for safety and if they are out of the wind they should be fine in there during the day especially since part of it is covered. Where is their house? Mine usually stay out side in all manner of weather but that 4 days we have single digits and below with high winds they chose to stay inside mostly only coming out once in a while. So if they have an option that might work well too.

For feet I would try using clear iodine on the blk scabs. use a qtip or cotton ball and really cover them good.Also any other places that look open on their feet. Sand is abrasive so they may just need their feet toughened up some.

@RachG75 Opal and Pearl are adorable.

3. RachG75

Jun 5, 2016
    Central Illinois
    Thanks Miss Lydia. Their yard is actually done now. Wall is done and the heat lamp is gone now that I know that water bucket won't freeze over when in the shallow heated dish. Here's a pic I just took of them with the webcam. I am giggling because their is a squirrel photobombing on the left. Anyway, they have a nice straw area now.
    [​IMG]

This is their house and they will be attached very soon, but all this bad weather has been slowing my husband down.
    [​IMG]
    That little sliding window will be opened so they can come and go as they please.

@Miss Lydia
    Is there a temporary alternative to the clear iodione? We have a serious ice storm so I can't go running around this weekend looking for it; just checked closest pharmacy and no luck. I do have vetericyn, neosporin without pain relief, betadine and mupirocin. I even have silvadene cream. Are these just abrasions? Do you think this is bumblefoot?

4. RachG75

Jun 5, 2016
    Central Illinois
    My husband working on it. See the little door? The house and yard will be safely connected by a little building that will house water and food. My husband did an amazing job. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will be able to close that little wooden door in their yard in extra bad weather so they can still get to the food and water, but won't trash their house. ;)

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Hello.....Also ducks require some straw down in the run to keep feet warm and huddle in...They usually wont go in during the day....

Good luck...

Cheers!

6. RachG75

Jun 5, 2016
    Central Illinois
    Thanks C.R. We have an area set up with a windbreak and a place to hide and plenty of straw.
    [​IMG]

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @RachG75 These places can turn into bumble and a few with the blk spots look to be starting .that is why treatment so use what you have. I'd wait til you put them to bed at dusk so they don't wear it off in the sand. Any of the ones you mentioned will work till you can get the c iodine. The clear iodine helps to bring the bumble to the surface and makes it easier to remove the scab. Please don't go out in the ice storms. lol just don't use anything with pain relief in it.

Your dh did an awesome job with your duck enclousure and that window/door is awesome too. Your girls have a really nice place.

That squirrel is hilarious

1 person likes this.
  9. RachG75

Jun 5, 2016
    Central Illinois
    I just ordered two pairs of leopard protective neoprene booties for $47. lol. I can just hear my husband already...[​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That will be so cute. I have camouflaged for my hen when she had bumble on both feet. But they didn't last long because chickens scratch and she wore out the front of the bootie.

Shhh don't tell him the cost. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by