foot problem cracked skin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladyarcher, Jan 18, 2011.

1. ladyarcher

ladyarcher New Egg

Jan 18, 2011
    I have a sebright cockerel (looks just like the photo of the day) who has a problem with one of his feet. I noticed him limping yesterday after being healthy and well.
    He has sore cracks underfoot where skin folds (same location if we looked at our palm where rings sit) and hard dry skin on the sole of same foot. Is this a sign of any condition? I have cleaned his foot, and put some vaseline on it. Does anyone have any experience of this and can give me advice? I am prett sure it is not bumble foot, as i have had turkeys with that and treated them fine for it. not seen this before.
    other foot is fine.

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    souds like you are doing what I would do, not sure what it might be, do you live in a cold area? could it be from frostbite? any wound should be cleaned and protected, vaseline is a good idea, esp. for frostbite or dryness due to other reasons. If you see infection use an antibiotic cream on the cracks, you can get self stick ace bandage and cut into thin strips if you ever need to wrap the foot, saw that done here. do you see any bugs? i have read about scaley leg mites. might be from fighting

3. ladyarcher

ladyarcher New Egg

Jan 18, 2011
    Thank you so much for your reply. It is reassuring when what you have done is confirmed as being the right thing. He was seperated from his birth buddy a sablepoot cockerel a week ago and has been on his own. They got on really well together - i only split them to put the sablepoot with some sablepoot girlies. My husband thought it might be frost bite as it did get really cold here a few weeks ago but I was doubtful because his comb is fine and his other foot is ok too and I didnt see any discolouring so I didnt think it was. He doesnt have leg mites - I am pretty good at treating them with mite powder and oiling their legs etc What I was worried about was that it could be a sign of something more serious but treatable becausse it is on the sole of his foot which I havent seen before.
    i will keep a very very close eye on him, keep the foot clean and put vaseline on. His run is spotless and will stay that way too! The last thing he needs is it to get infected. Poor little chap. All being well it should get better soon. I am a bit worried though about the hard skin and if it is frost bite, how it will be and if it will get better.

4. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    [​IMG] ummm well I dont know what this could be but sending good (((vibes)))

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by