Foot problem - does my chicken have bumblefoot?

ChickenBoyAfrica

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2020
Hi, one of my chicks has a swollen toe. She is walking fine. But should I be worried and it could it be bumblefoot?
Thank you
2D20FF11-4D41-4BDE-90A4-510F8753DE5B.jpeg
BB29426D-FBA7-4B1A-9E81-5A791A38C165.jpeg

Here is a good article about bumblefoot showing some of the different pictures of how it looks:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/
Warm Epsom salts soaks are a good first treatment. Some also use a dressing on the foot with Betadine and sugar mixture as a poultice. PRID is another drawing salve that can be used. If there is a hard kernel inside, it can later be cleaned out by removing the scab and squeezing. Cutting into it is the most invasive treatment that is sometimes needed. I would rather see a cleaned up foot pad first.

Thank you for the info, she is also only 7 weeks old !she is the first chicken I have ever had that has bumblefoot! ( We only got them in April.

Thank you for the info, she is also only 7 weeks old !she is the first chicken I have ever had that has bumblefoot! ( We only got them in April.
In the last month I have had two chickens with bumble foot with the first one I just soaked her foot with Epsom salts everyday for about a week and a half, the second one I found out she has bumble foot today so I am just gonna do the same considering I found it very early. It is sad watching them limp and be very skidish. But in the end they will get better, I wish you and you’re chicken luck :)

Back
Top Bottom