1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Foot problem in rescued rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by graceful130, Mar 8, 2014.

1. graceful130

graceful130 New Egg

Mar 8, 2014
    I received a rooster last November that had been used in cock fights. We took it to the vet and had a safety pin removed from its leg that was attached with electrical tape. It's foot was swollen and removing the tape pulled some scales (?) from its leg. The vet didn't act concerned. We watched its leg all through December and it seemed to be doing much better although it hobbled a bit. Now that the weather is warmer it's moving farther from the coop and I noticed today that all if it's toes are gone! He's basically hobbling around on a nub. What, if anything, can I do for him.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. For some reason the circulation to his foot was probably stopped, and the foot 'died' and fell off. I have had roosters with frozen feet that adapted quite well. If he is foraging and apparently OK in all other regards, I think that he will be good to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by