Foot problem/infection/Scaly Feet....

StarSpun

Chirping
5 Years
Hello all!

We rescued a chicken on Christmas Eve at an RV park we are staying at in Miami....we found her out on the driveway and spent 30 minutes trying to catch her....! She is a little Bantam and turned out to be the sweetest little lady....all she wants to do is snuggle and be with me. I adore her! (I'll post a story about her and link it here soon! :)

We named her 'Eve', the Christmas Eve Chicken! <3

Anyhoo, I noticed her feet had raised scales, and I have never really dealt with this before with my other chickens back at home. I noticed she was favouring one of them, and have been applying the oil, etc. Her raised scales are starting to fall off, but there is another problem....

In the last couple of days, her foot pain seems to be getting worse:-( I realized today it was hot to the touch....so I guess an infection. I am panicking!

What do y'all suggest to do for this? I put an equivalent of neosporin and then slathered with mineral oil (until my other stuff arrives, tea tree ointment).

I've included some photos. You can see her back toe looks like....well....it looks almost like there was something tied around it....I wonder if she will lose it?! Or is it the mites?

Any suggestions? I don't want her to hurt anymore:-(
Thanks so much in advance!!!!

It does almost look like string or something was tied around her foot. She could have some footpad dermatitis one her feet which comes from standing in poop or wet litter or mud as lot of the time. I would do some daily warm epsom salt baths to her feet, and apply the Neosporin. Be careful with tea tree oil--it needs to be very dilute in chickens. She may benefit from an antibiotic such as clavamox, Gallimycin (erythromycin,) or penicillin, in case she has staphylococcal arthritis. Here is a link about staph infections of the joints and feet: http://www.canadianpoultry.ca/cms_pdfs/AviaTech_Staph.pdf

It does almost look like string or something was tied around her foot. She could have some footpad dermatitis one her feet which comes from standing in poop or wet litter or mud as lot of the time. I would do some daily warm epsom salt baths to her feet, and apply the Neosporin. Be careful with tea tree oil--it needs to be very dilute in chickens. She may benefit from an antibiotic such as clavamox, Gallimycin (erythromycin,) or penicillin, in case she has staphylococcal arthritis. Here is a link about staph infections of the joints and feet: http://www.canadianpoultry.ca/cms_pdfs/AviaTech_Staph.pdf
Thank you SO much for the advice! I've been using Neosporin (after salt soaks) on her and then coating with either Vaseline or Mineral Oil. All the yucky black and raised scales are coming off, it's amazing! She is still favouring the foot and it is still slightly hot to touch, but not as hot and for sure not as swollen. That back toe looks terrible, will keep an eye on it. Other than that, eating and drinking fine....and just wants to be held constantly! Awww!
Will update as things progress....
Thanks again!
:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom