Foot Problem on Chick - Bumblefoot? *Pics*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HidingInTheHenHouse, Dec 27, 2008.

1. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I noticed today that one of the 4 week old chicks which are outside in the hen house with their "mom" was walking strangely, so I caught her and her feet are messed up. One is really swollen, with scabs between her toes. The other foot looks like it is starting to get scabs. Is this bumblefoot, or maybe frostbite? I've been reading the bumblefoot threads, so I know what to do if it is that, but I wanted opinions since I've never diagnosed this before.

Bottom of Feet. The skin peeled off the shiny red patch when I washed them.
    [​IMG]

Front of feet. You can see the two large scabs in between the toes.
    [​IMG]

One of the scabs was really loose, so I pried it up to show the hole in the middle under the scab. Sorry, the picture isn't the best quality.
    [​IMG]

The feet are soft, not hard. The tissue is distended, but not hard like a rock. There are lots of peely places on the feet, top and bottom. It got really cold here last week, and I did see the chicks outside with their mom a couple of times when the windchill was well below zero F.

Thanks for any help.

2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    This may be frostbite, but doesn't look like it. Looks like bumblefoot, but I notice there seems to be a peeled off patch on the other foot. Bumblefoot is usually on one foot or the other. Does she have any blemishes on her face? Fowl pox can cause sores on the foot, but they're also on the face too. One of my hens has kinda scabbly looking legs right now, and she just molted. But nothing swelled up.

3. HidingInTheHenHouse

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    No, no scabs on her face. Yes, it does appear that the other foot is affected as well. It is peely between the toes and a little swollen aroung the first joint in the toes.

4. Mrs.Puff

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    have you checked the feet of the other chicks? any troubles there?

5. HidingInTheHenHouse

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Here is the history of the chicks. I had 8 eggs to incubate. I kept 5 in the incubator and stuck 3 under my broody silkie. All eggs hatched. The 5 from the incubator were kept inside in a brooder. The other 3 were left with "mom" outside. This morning, one of the 3 outside was found dead in the run; no cause of death could be determined. The other outside one does not have any sign of foot problems. In fact when I compare the 2 outside chicks' feet, I can tell that both feet on the hurt chick are definitely affected, just one foot is more obviously affected. None of the inside 5 chicks are affected with the foot problem. A quick exam of all the chickens in the outside coop and run did not reveal any others with foot problems. I did have a light brahma that sickened and died about a month ago; when I first brought her in, her only apparent symptom was feet problems, but I thought it was just ingrown feathers that had gotten infected. Her feet healed while she was inside, but her general health worsened slowly until she died all of a sudden.

6. Mrs.Puff

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Well, one death out of your chicks isn't really uncommon.

I'm stumped on the foot problem. Is it possible that the hurt chick suffered from some toe picking and it got infected?? But you said the other hen had foot trouble---beats me. Maybe someone else knows better.

7. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I just got back from the vet today. My "house shicken" has bumblefoot on both feet. My vet said that the most likely cause in her case is the roost is not wide enough and she has to play a balancing act when roosting, which eventually causes sores from rubbing against those spots continually and then walking around picking up bacteria. The vet gave me some antibiotics for her and said she should be ok with proper roosting. I don't know what your situation is but I hope it helps. Since you are in Indianapolis, call All Things Wild, she is a fantastic vet. But beware, I spent $90.00 on a silly old chicken!

8. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    If the roost is to high and the ground is hard it will also cause it, its always best to have sand or alot of straw on the ground where they jump off the roost

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've never seen bumblefoot in a chick that age unless it was raised on wire. That doesn't look like a classic case of it, either. I've treated many cases of it, almost all of them in my very heavy girls. Yes, they can have it in both feet-seen that many times. Mine freerange on rocky, thorny ground and perch on the firewood pile, so they often have abrasions that get staph infections. Bumblefoot is most often seen as a black scab in the middle of the foot pad. If untreated, it will cause swelling up between the toes, but the entry point is the bottom of the foot. Those temps with a chick that young could cause frostbite, certainly.
    This pic shows classic bumblefoot:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Not sure... but if it was really really cold... perhaps it is frost bite if one foot was out more than the other? Doesn't look like classic bumble foot to me either. More of frost bite because extreme cases does cause swelling and blistering which appears to be what is on the left foot. Good luck with the chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by