Foot problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Grey's, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Grey's

Grey's Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Ottawa, ON Canada
    HI guys, was wondering if someone could help me out here, I noticed this on one of my hens foot. She seems to be holding it up and don't know what to[​IMG]

Thanks for any advice Colleen

2. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Bumblefoot comes to mind, but I always thought that was on the bottom of the foot. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along soon, because I have a hen that has a small bump sorta like that on her foot. I was about to post a pic of her this morning, but I'll just see what sort of info comes from here.

Wishing your girl the best.

3. Grey's

Aug 13, 2010
    Ottawa, ON Canada
    Thanks FLchook

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  5. FLchook

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
  6. Grey's

Aug 13, 2010
    Ottawa, ON Canada
    boy you guys are great BUT what if I can't do this?? is my hen going to die eventually from this?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Grey's :

boy you guys are great BUT what if I can't do this?? is my hen going to die eventually from this?

It could be possible that the staph infection will work its way to the leg and into the bone. Once it reaches the bone, the infection spreads throughout their system and then death. Too bad we dont live closer, I'd do the minor surgery for you.​

8. Grey's

Aug 13, 2010
    Ottawa, ON Canada
    I wish too! when we were away in Aug my sons girlfriends dog caught one of my hens and really hurt her bad. My son found a vet that actually treated chickens and drove a very far distance, she is like new now, you would never know she had been hurt. So left her a msg and will see if she will do it for me. I just wanted to know how fast this bumble foot went. Will let you know what happens. Hope she will be okay.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Excellent! The sooner the infection is removed, the better. Good luck.

10. FLchook

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Keep us posted on how it goes!
    Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by