Foot problem

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HeatherMarieR, Mar 9, 2015.

1. HeatherMarieR

HeatherMarieR Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    Somerville, AL
    I've been posting a lot lately about my Pekin duckling who has something wrong with her foot/leg. I originally thought it was a niacin deficiency because both of her legs were messed up. Now, I'm still wondering if that's what it could be because the other leg is fine, but her left foot is turned weird and not opening. I messed with it quite a bit a few minutes ago, and tried to put a shoe on it (no such luck), but she doesn't seem to be in pain and it doesn't appear to be a slipped tendon like I suspected earlier. Any ideas? I have a vet appointment with her tomorrow, but I'm thinking about canceling because I'm worried it won't do any good, and she's slowly doing better. Here's some pictures of her foot.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    She may just have an imperfect leg. You might think of letting the vet look, but make up your mind ahead of time you are not going to let them euthanize her. Ducks can do quite well even if they are special needs. They have a will to live.

The poultrypedia site sometimes can give good ideas - she may have a combination of a B vitamin deficiency and a misformed leg. So using vet wrap to support the leg, maybe coming up with some kind of therapy exercises for her, giving her extra time in a tub in lukewarm water to strengthen the leg without weight on it, find some nutritional supplements in addition to the B vitamins - any and all of that could make a difference.

3. HeatherMarieR

Feb 27, 2015
    Somerville, AL
    I'm buying some vet wrap tomorrow, and she gets at least 3 baths a day. I went ahead and cancelled my vet appointment. She doesn't seem to be in pain, and she seems to be slowly improving a little bit.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It is not always an easy call - I can really appreciate your reasoning.

Please keep us posted - this is how we all learn together.

5. HeatherMarieR

Feb 27, 2015
    Somerville, AL
    Thanks, I will!

6. HeatherMarieR

Feb 27, 2015
    Somerville, AL
    I tried to get a shoe on her with some vet wrap, but she wasn't having it. I had her leg wrapped, but it kept coming undone. This is what I got out of it. I'm afraid the more I mess with her the more I'm going to stress her out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by