Foot problems (bumblefoot? mites? gout?)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jaminer, Apr 4, 2014.

1. jaminer

jaminer Hatching

Apr 4, 2014
    Can anybody tell me what is wrong with my chickens feet? She was already treated for mites, so I am guessing that is not it. Occasionally they crack and bleed. It's been like this since I bought her as an adult. Hasn't gotten worse or better. Thanks![​IMG]

2. RileyCalanchini

RileyCalanchini Chirping

Mar 26, 2014
    California
    OH MY GOSH!!!!!! I have never seen this before! How old is the chicken? Do you have any ideas @Dustieburk ???

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  3. Serenity Sav

Serenity Sav Songster

Jan 23, 2014
    Bonny Doon, California
    Wow, I've also never seen anything like his. It almost looks like elephantiasis on a chicken (I'm not saying that's what it is). Hope you are able to treat her, it looks painful. :(

4. No ! She might be allergic to something you feed her . That is nasty hope she gets better !!!

5. It is bumble foot . It is filled with puss my father had chickens do that before . Cut it open and hope for the best .

6. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Crowing

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Wow. I have no idea. She is a beautiful bird. Search bumblefoot. There is a great thread on how to do the surgery yourself and it really isn't that hard once you get over your initial fear.

If it is bumblefoot. I am not a disease expert. May be someone knows more than I do.

Good luck and Elcome to BYC.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    She possibly has articular gout. She looks like a cornish x meat bird.

8. jaminer

jaminer Hatching

Apr 4, 2014
    We are not sure how old the bird is. We got it as an adult (traded a rooster for it). The lady who sold it to us said it came from a home where it was being neglected. I suspected gout, but after research I thought that it would have died by now if it had gout. It has had this problem since we got it 7 or 8 months ago. The person who sold it do us suspected it was a deformity/birth defect. I am doubtful as she only treated it for mites. I searched pictures of bumblefoot and didn't find anything quite like this.

9. HannahC1198

HannahC1198 In the Brooder

Sep 3, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: